Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Latest Visit to the Belief-O-Matic


As I continue to read, speak with others and experience life in general, I enjoy going to the Belief-O-Matic to see how my spiritual perspective may be changing/evolving. You can find the Belief-o-Matic at: http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Further to this, you can simply select each school of religious thought and it will link you to a run-down about this particular religion, serving as a springboard to further readings/explorations.

Anyrood, here are my latest results:

1.
Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2.
Unitarian Universalism (88%)
3.
Neo-Pagan (87%)
4.
Theravada Buddhism (84%)
5.
New Age (81%)
6.
Hinduism (79%)
7.
Liberal Quakers (79%)
8.
Taoism (73%)
9.
Jainism (71%)
10.
Sikhism (60%)
11.
New Thought (60%)
12.
Scientology (58%)
13.
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (56%)
14.
Orthodox Quaker (55%)
15.
Secular Humanism (53%)
16.
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (51%)
17.
Baha'i Faith (50%)
18.
Reform Judaism (47%)
19.
Orthodox Judaism (36%)
20.
Nontheist (31%)
21.
Islam (29%)
22.
Seventh Day Adventist (28%)
23.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%)
24.
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (22%)
25.
Jehovah's Witness (17%)
26.
Eastern Orthodox (17%)
27.
Roman Catholic (17%)

So many of us are born and brought up within religions, never really looking to see if there might be a better fit out there. Personally, as most people's results will show, we share a common set of values with a number of faiths. I don't think that I could ever submit to any particular dogmatic structure, but there is much to be found in each sect that may well enhance one's spiritual growth and journey.

Happy exploring!

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 6:59 p.m. , Blogger Fairie Mom said...

    Hey I did the belief-o-matic and was surprised at how freakishly right it was!
    Thanks for sharing
    G

     
  • At 9:55 a.m. , Blogger Vesper said...

    What an interesting and ironic name... Belief-O-Matic...
    Thank you for sharing this info. I'll give the test a try, although I'm afraid I have no religious inclinations... Moral values for me don't have to come from a particular religion. I'm much more interested by humanism.

     
  • At 1:11 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Glad you are all having a bit of fun with this. As I said, I wouldn't go as far as dedicating myself to any one faith full stop, but rather believe in the essence - the humanism if you will as my imagination can not quite stretch to the supernatural - of it all...

     
  • At 6:31 p.m. , Blogger K.Lawson Gilbert said...

    Very interesting post. I love to read about all religions...although I am more spiritual than religious. Thanks!

     
  • At 8:11 a.m. , Blogger Andrew Louis said...

    I've tried to take this a number of times but it keeps screwing up!?!

    One occasion I got to the end and lost it, funny thing was that my 100%'er was neo-pagan, and next in line was utilitarian universalism, neither I know anything about.

    I wanna get this to work and post at my blog.

     
  • At 8:37 a.m. , Blogger K.Lawson Gilbert said...

    i hope everything is alright with you - have you lost power up in NS or something? i know that there have been terrific storms and power loss there. hoping all is Okay! K.

     
  • At 1:45 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Cheers K!

    All is well with me, though I have been taking a bit of a breather. The last couple of weeks at school were hectic, topped off by two separate students having brothers killed in different murders (most likely gang related) + one of my students ended up in hospital for suicidal idealations. Needless to say that I was pretty worn out by Chritmas break (ended up with strep throat for half of it which was a bummer as I turned 40 on Christmas Day and was on antibiotics through until New Years Day!).

    Outside of that, my Mother was here from Nova Scotia (I live in Alberta now), which was difficult. With most of our daily highs hitting around -30c, it was all malls (which I detest) and cabin fever!

    Anyway, 2009 is here and I hope to get back into the swing of things soon. Hope that you had a fantastic holidays and best wishes for 2009!!!

     
  • At 5:39 p.m. , Blogger K.Lawson Gilbert said...

    Well, you have certainly had your share of bad things happening. Terrible about the students...such a waste of young life - and the suicidal youth...makes me wonder...God love him/her...

    Anyway, I am glad that you are fine - outside of a sore throat and all - at least you are on the mend. So good to see you back!

    Happy New Year and All the best in '09!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home