Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Thursday, May 07, 2009



"A Lament for Education and Academic Freedom"


I was the mainstream -
a rich running river of life
once flowing forcibly, natural
determined, etching malleable landscapes,
now drowned in dust.

Animals grazed harmoniously and prospered over my lush leaning banks,
I sparkled pure, crystal, white,
while others flourished beneath my mirrored still
and ferocious foam

I fed streams, tiniest tributaries, bogs
teeming with living, amidst teasing twists, cryptic mists and fogs
what was given was as well too me given back
forging canyons from fragments and finger-like cracks

my silt settled, evolved into stone,
my purpose was my purpose, with all and nothing to be known

I once built wonders that made wonder grow
my currents, respected, their tempo and flow
but the respect now evaporates
in billows of dust,
leaving me dry upon a tegument sedimentary saline crust
for I was the mainstream,
but now am no more
a forgotten scar upon the planet's floor.


4 Comments:

  • At 5:25 a.m. , Blogger Catherine Vibert said...

    Beautiful...sad.

     
  • At 8:01 a.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Thanks Cat.

    I'm not all that happy with this one as I wanted to use this metaphor to better illustrate how the river of knowledge has been tapped dry by greedy off-shoots, reconstructions and polluted, but it instead turned more into a lament over the arid remains.

    What has spawned my recent writings is a Bill going into second reading here in Alberta which will see the possibility of Teachers being brought up on Human Rights Charge violations should they teach certain things that some parents, mainly from a religious perspective, find offensive. Being the way I am, I could easily see myself getting into trouble! Google it if you want to find out more: "teachers alberta human rights"

    Thanks for stopping by and best wishes!

     
  • At 8:35 a.m. , Blogger Catherine Vibert said...

    Jeeze la wheeze. When did Canada get all right wing?

     
  • At 7:07 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    It's scary, I know. Our PM, Steven Harper, is/was a big George W. fan, and I live in Alberta, which tends to be fairly conservative (home of most the country's oil and cowboy country) in comparison to the rest of the nation. In the end, national apathy is very high with low voter turn-out and absolute rubbish for candidates. As a result, the corporate influence is becoming overwhelming and frightening.

    ...perhaps we could get Obama to emigrate here!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home