Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Haiku Challenge



Taking a break from my Roller Derby, I began to think again about haiku’s. Somewhere in my cerebral wanderings, my mind entered the world of Cole’s Notes (or whatever you used to get a quick synopsis of a novel you had to read in high school or university but never seemed to find enough time) and then to all the books I wanted to read and how, even if all those books were in Cole’s Notes, I still wouldn’t have had enough time (I did go to a bookstore today, perhaps that's what set me off). Putting 2 +2 together (Dostoevsky’s “Notes From Underground” excluded of course – read it and you’ll get my comment), I thought “wouldn’t it be great if there were haiku versions of some of literature’s great works?”. So, I have decided to take some of my favourite reads, put it into the 17 syllables of a haiku and offer it to folks who want to know what a book is all about but can’t find the time to read it. I am also issuing a challenge to all of you in cyber land to send me your haiku versions of your favourite books (James Joyce’s “Finnegan’s Wake” would be a good start).

So, without further ramblings, here’s a couple to stew over:


Franz Kafka’s “Metamorphoses

awoke dung beetle
parents conceal from friend’s view
son laying in room


Albert Camus’ “L’Etranger

mother died today
no sympathy, shot Arab
beach, hero absurd

1 Comments:

  • At 5:08 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my brother crossed the bridge with
    a priest from the east
    in season, in peace, in each.

    memories of mill creek crossing gandalf-wise and a sicilian orthodox near where we swam or
    i once dropped my wagonwheel and cried, the brother led me across other bridges and up trees and to make friends with the boys who beat him up and i will not play the piano with him, but he has peace and i work in prison, so we share monty python and harpo marxism.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home