Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Wham! Bam! No thank you SPAM!


It’s sad to see how something like the Internet gets abused by the lowest common denominator: namely the whole sex industry thing. It’s amazing the amount of spam one receives via email promising a larger member, better orgasms, etc. Then there are the charlatans offering quick financial gain. I recently received a spam email from a fellow claiming to be in Togo who was administering a multi-million dollar estate and needed a middle man, paying you something like 2.5 million USD – do some people actually believe in this kind of stuff? I suppose it’s no different than the weight loss industry where folks fork out several dollars for what is more or less a few cups of coffee in a capsule. I guess these are all bastions of the Enterprise Culture: sex sells, get rich fast and if you have a problem then pop a pill as opposed to make the necessary changes. At least tobacco companies post on their products an admission that using their product, on average, will kill you over time. What about all these non-regulated (often nothing more than a few impotent herbs and majority fillers) “health” products?

The whole health and fitness industry is a to edged sword. On the one hand, if it gets people active, doing yoga, lifting weights, running, biking and dressing stylishly, then bully for it. The dark underbelly lies in the “lies” – of supplements that really are a waste of money and perhaps bad for you, of unrealistic gains promised by the routines in all of the popular fitness mags. Ian Harrison, former Olympian Body Building contestant and British Champion and friend of mine told me that often in mags like Flex they would have “Ian’s Arm Routine”. Truth is they would print an arm workout garnished by Ian’s photo, and that was the extent of it all.

As a former professional and International Rugby League player, I encourage you to definitely pick a fitness lifestyle. That being said, keep your expectations real – genetics are 90% of the folks that you see in the fitness magazines. Take supplements, but not so many that you rattle when you walk. I’d recommend a good multi, Omega 3-6-9 complex and ensure that you are getting lots of branch chain amino acids from your protein (I recommend a good whey protein drink – PVL makes some good ones). I’d recommend Yoga regardless of what your main thing is, and don’t forget to get lots of sleep for recovery.

Now let’s use this WWW thing for worthwhile revolution, shall we…?!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:32 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good fitness advice.
    My wife (with much experience in the field) is baffled not by the amount of SPAM or Direct Snail Mail which we get, but by the deceitfulness of the companies that sell it to other companies, and the stupidity with which they buy into these schemes. Where do they get their statistics? How many sales do they actually make per BILLION attempted contacts? I compare it to the inventions submission companies, which have always been a ripoff, and it takes the government something like 3 generations to prosecute one of them.

     
  • At 8:55 a.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    I'm certain that the internet has saved these companies billions in printing and postage as you simply need to type your spiel and press send. The scarry thing is the lack of regulation (there's that scarry word again) and quality control. Their success lies in the fact that people really seem to be looking for things to believe in these days - just look at the rise in the televison evangelist style church attendence. The Ramones sum it up:

    "Something To Believe In"

    I wish I was someone else
    I'm confused, I'm afraid, I hate the loneliness
    And there's nowhere to run to
    Nothing makes any sense, but I still try my hardest

    Take my hand
    Please help me man
    'Cause I'm looking for something to believe in
    And I don't know where to start
    And I don't know where to begin, to begin

    If I was stupid or naive
    Trying to achieve what they all call contentness
    If people weren't such dicks and I never made mistakes
    Then I could find forgiveness

    Take my hand
    Please help me man
    'Cause I'm looking for something to believe in
    And I don't know where to start
    And I don't know where to begin, oh no

    I can't be someone else
    I don't feel that it's hopeless
    I don't feel that I'm useless

    I can't throw it all away
    I need some courage to find my weakness
    And with your love, I know with all my heart I can win

    'Cause I'm looking for something to believe in
    And I just need something to believe in
    I'm looking for something to believe in
    And I just need something to believe in

     
  • At 1:57 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I believe I'll get out and Create something.

    Some days I wish I could write music or sing.

    AG

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home