Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Friday, December 02, 2005



My Study of Aikido and Ideas of Ki


Having recently commenced the study of Aikido, the topic of ki appears to be of great significance to the Art. I was reading an informative article on "The Value of Ki Study" by Eric Sotnak ( http://www.aikiweb.com/spiritual/ki.html ), where he presents two very clear definitions of "ki". The first is defined as an esoteric kind of energy flowing down the bodies energy meridians allowing for demonstrations of profound power and effect. The second is "a blanket-concept which covers intentions, momentum, will, and attention...that can literally be extended, [and] adopt a physically and psychologically positive bearing." Regardless, ki appears to be a psychological state attainable through practice to be utilised in a certain way.

Reflecting on this, I wonder if those who are able to utilise ki effectively are in some way able to control and regulate the adrenelin secreted when the body is under duress or forced into the flight or fight mode, to be used at any time? Though an amateur at meditation, I know that I can utilies breath and quiet my mind resulting in physiological results (slowing heart rate, relaxing and releasing of muscular tension, etc.). As a Correctional Officer, I have also been subjected to very intense scenarios where my adrenelin has allowed me to perform tasks well beyond what I could do in an artificial scenario. We hear the stories of 120 lb women lifting cars that have collapsed off their jacks on top of their loved ones, as well as people who have endured incredible undertakings of strength and endurence superceding their apparent physiology. So, could it be that those who demonstrate the utlilisation of ki are perhaps refined or trained in a particular aspect of psychological development, allowing them to call upon that adrenalin reserved, for most people, at times of immediate crisis, without necessarily being in immediate danger?

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this....

Incidentally, I separated my shoulder in my very first class, and my ambitions to get back at it and the rate of healing are butting heads! I'm fortunate that my shift work is preventing me from rushing back to the dojo, leaving me four more days to mend before I have the option of going to class. The shoulder is there tweaking my consciousness all the time to a small degree, but definitely announcing itself when I lie down and attempt to sleep. I did a variety of light weightstwo days ago, and none of those movements seemed to cause further discomfort. So I'm a bit baffled by the whole thing. Still, being introspective on the whole affair, it is another lesson in patience which I hope to master as it will bode well as I continue on with my classes as well as other aspects in life. Keeping a diary/journal of sorts is good (you can visit my other blog at: http://www.aikiweb.com/blog/9196 ) in that I don't think I would have formed this perspective on injury and might have been a bit sluggish on reflecting about the necessity of patience, blinded by the excitement of trying something new. Balancing enthusiasim and patience is difficult. Heeding the words of Aikido's founder, Morihei Ueshiba: "Failure is the key to success; Each mistake teaches us something."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home