Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Friday, January 06, 2006


Innocence


I was sitting in a Starbucks this morning, reading my book and waiting for my wife's car to be serviced, when this mother and her teenage son sat down, joined a few minutes later by an older guy. Now I'm not one to really eavesdrop on a conversation, but I am also hypersensitive to noise while I'm trying to read, and also somewhat hypervigilant stemming from my job as a prison guard.

Anyway, this was actually some kind of outreach/counselling session and, as it turned out, the teenage boy - probably between 15-17 - was trying to get off crystal meth. I listened as the old guy explained the withdrawl, etc., as well as more candid comments when the young lad went to the toilet.

As a young parent and someone who works in a Corrections environment, this scares the shit out of me. I look at my three year old and then try to put my place in that Mother's shoes. I've got a friend who is an addictions counsellor as well and some of the tales he tells me make some of the stuff that I've seen in jail pale in comparison. I also am infuriated when I see the rights and treatment the dealers and gang members who perpetuate the drug trade receive in our prisons, treated better than veterans who gave their all for this country, and the elderly who helped build this country.

Canadian leaders are talking a tough game here in the run-up to an a federal election later this month on stiffer sentences, etc. I can honestly say that if someone ever sold my child drugs I would make it my mission in life to put a stake through his/her vampire heart. In my opinion, the people who perpetuate these kinds of crimes against humanity are worse than some murderers in that their victims live and, more than likely, create more victims in an effort to support their addictions.

I look at the innocence of my three year old daughter, and know that she will grow up like we all did and partake in her fair share of passage rites, but I grew up in times more like those on Leave it to Beaver, not the world of Trainspotting on steroids like we have now. One hopes that they will be a good parent, but at some point we have to trust our children and send them out there. The thing is that the waters are much different; where my generation might have tried smoking a cigarette at ten years of age, kids today are smoking meth and getting hooked - BANG!

Society is ours and we need to take it back. If you have kids, talk to them. Lobby your politicians for tougher sentencing for drug trafficking, etc. For god's sake, don't sit there in apathy!

Photo: My daughter, Enya

2 Comments:

  • At 3:33 p.m. , Blogger "Jet" said...

    I couldn't agree with you more! Having a 4 year old growing up in todays society scares the shit out of me!!

     
  • At 4:54 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    catching up on your blog and wonderin' if you won't get fired, but you said worse at work, i suppose. i am caps off to say comments on christ and buddha are close, and cs lewis/tolkin and aquinas are good, deep ways to go, but look again at d.t.suzuki gospel according to zen, like 2 peace in ipod if sober view. hard to get sober view in brite nite adscam season peppered with bush-league neocons, sue dose liberals and quasimodemndp and no green day until senate rewrites itself. maybe see you in pen by thirsty or fried, eh? nodroggout miehrots on mountain man blend coffee. did i tell you my first published poem was about juan valdez?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home