Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Challenges, Creativity and the Good Life


Life is in an insane groove right now, coupling a whole lot of great things with a few stiff challenges. Does it get any better?

It all began in September with my special needs students. The first month was what seemed an eternal battle to establish relationships (10 of my present 15 kids were new to me - I had started with 23!), and get used to all the things and challenges that makes each child unique. Now, early in October, the class has really gelled and I'm thinking this will be an incredible year. There are unbelievable challenges which need to be addressed to ensure that each student succeeds, but the relationships are there now, making this a far easier undertaking!

On top of this, my family has become very close to a refugee family here from the Congo. The story of this family is horrific, as are those of many others from this part of Africa. My main focus has been to advocate for the Father of the family who is still awaiting his visa from Nairobi (he is presently held up in Uganda where he has been now for the past four years, leaving the Mother over here alone with six children). I am so pleased in the progress being made for these incredibly wonderful and inspiring people. I've managed to meet with federal MP's and get a lot of smaller issues addressed for the family ranging from clothing to housing improvements. They have basically become part of our family now and I am incredibly grateful for being in a position to assist them. There is no stronger thing in this world than love and compassion. I am also overwhelmed by how many of my friends and colleagues have answered the call to help this incredible family out!

My creative life is also on an upward spiral these days. Through my blog, I have been introduced to a woman in the U.S. who is interested in small press publishing. She is planning on publishing my short story, "The Addiction" (see link on side bar if you'd like to read it as I have it as another blog), and some of my poetry (also available on my Woven Words site) in a zine. I love this independent stuff as it is the true backbone and essence of what Art is about - just like my Punk Rock days of making our own tapes, t-shirts and posters, and our "do-it-yourself" shows! Also, a good mate and Nova Scotian in exile who is a brilliant playwright and screen writer (though hardly gives himself enough credit) and I were talking about him taking my story and writing it as a one act play. Very cool!

And speaking of music, I am entering the forray on that scene for the first time in 20 years! Back in the 1980's I sang for the Halifax Punk band, Ick on Fish, played a bit of bodhran in local Irish pub sessions and spent years as a bass drummer in a Scottish Pipe & Drum band. Now, myself and another Nova Scotian in exile, have started a bit of a Celt-Punk band which we are hoping will shape into something larger and eventually lead to playing shows. I must admit that my confidence is a bit shaky in the whole undertaking as I've only played alone in my basement and am very self-conscious of my guitar ability, not to mention my singing aptitude, while my mate is a seasoned player and multi-instrumentalist. But, in the end, I'll give it my best and hope that I can deliver the pace and contribute to the band in a positive manner. I must say, it is a bit of a dream of mine to play in such a band, though I'm chuffed at simply jamming in my basement with a few folks over a few pints.

This being said, we are looking for a band name. I've been putting it out there on my FACEBOOK page, but nothing really catchy has developed. If you have a suggestion, please feel free to comment! We will be in a similar genre (but not quite as heavy in some regards) as the Pogues, Tossers, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Mahones, Saw Doctors, etc.

So, this has been my lot as of late and why I've been neglecting my wee o' Blogging. Thanks for dropping by and best wishes!

Slainte!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:08 p.m. , Blogger K.Lawson Gilbert said...

    Wow...you have been very busy with so much on your plate. so many varied things. Congrats on the new band starting up. Sounds exciting! Keep it real, Ed! <3

     
  • At 10:30 a.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Cheers K.! Thanks for stopping by!

     
  • At 12:11 p.m. , Blogger Jayna Moar said...

    Busy man! I'll give you the only band name I can think of but I'll understand if it doesn't get used. Celtic names are tricky... I keep trying to get people to use 'Red Door and the White Knight' as a band name. I don't know why, just like it, my one friend refused because he said he didn't like the colour red?!
    Hmmm, anyways, stay warm.
    J.

     
  • At 7:58 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Interesting name, Red Door and the White Knight, Jayna - what's the origin/ thoughts behind it? It might be attractive to a couple of lads in the group (they are Medievalists and into sword fighting, armour making, etc. - we all love to play Chess as well). Coming up with a name is difficult. I don't want us to sound like a drunken bunch of louts on the one hand, nor as being one of the ethereal Enya sounding groups. In essence, we want to have that sound where folks feel like tearing up the floorboards with dancing on one tune, then have them weeping in their pints the next. The Pogues do that very well, but we don't want to be a Pogues imitation group - we want to do our own thing. The bulk of the band is from Nova Scotia, so a lot will ride on the traditional stuff we were raised on. It's all pretty exciting stuff!

    I'll try to stay warm - been below zero for over a week, now they are saying +18c tomorrow!

    Slainte!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home