Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Friday, September 15, 2006

"The World's a Mess, It's in My Kiss"
- X


Sitting here in my classroom as Friday classes get ready to commence, looking out the window at the miserable weather. Part of the province will be getting snow today and the highs aren’t going up much past zero which is bloody nuts given it was +30c a couple days ago! I have tickets to see the Women’s Rugby World Cup Finals here on Sunday and envisioned knocking back a few jars in the sunshine – never did I anticipate a measly high of +2c forecasted for the day!

It was a busy week, supplemented with a school BBQ last night, my 10th wedding anniversary and our daughter’s 4th birthday. I’m going to have to rely on the German genes within myself to ensure effective planning and organization, otherwise I’m going to grow fat and be overwhelmed. I’ve found my teaching legs rather well, so it’s more a matter of managing volume as opposed to being stumped, though I still cringe at having to teach Mathematics. Oh well, life isn’t much of a journey without some tough slogging, eh?! I’m just glad to be here and out of my old job in the nick.

…That being said, Wednesday’s shooting at a school in Montreal where a young man shot 20 people, killing one before being killed himself by Police, is very disturbing. It truly is a different world from the one I grew up in and shake my head at the denials of the video game industry and the gangsta rappers who deny that they have any influence on the rising trend in youth violence – they are starting to sound a bit like big tobacco in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Certainly other factors are at play and the video game makers and Ja Rule aren’t solely to blame, but come on! I’m not one to advocate censorship willingly, but we really need to start taking a hard look and how freedoms of some to posses certain things impacts the freedom of others to live safely. Perhaps my cynicism is slightly more obtuse this week because my vehicle was broken into and liberated of its contents (though there was nothing of value inside). Then again, perhaps I’m just getting old!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:56 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    you may wonder if jail isn't safer than school, school on border of "neighbourhood" of needy. freedom persists, same world, more guns available, fewer funds. think of the nations where the peoples' greates reason to fear is the police, who have the guns and use them to extort. hard to believe iraquis would rather have yanks run their prison and afghanis wish we would stay there to keep them safe from their own military. there is no protection for sudanese in darfur from their government. same world as chronicled in kings and all the way back to genesis. same people, same faith. no new thing under the sun.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home