Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Sunday, August 09, 2009

My Summer Holidays












Let's not kid ourselves: from a meteorological perspective, Canada is a a bi-polar nation. In my city of Edmonton, we see winter lows hit -57 c on some days, while having summer highs of +35c. This offers both challenges (especially psychologically) and opportunities if you like to be active.


This has been a fantastic summer. I've got a lot of camping, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking and beer in since school ended (definitely a perk of being a teacher, having summers off!). The result has been a lot of wonderful memories, a few adventures and, inevitably, a few battle scars. Though in the middle of nowhere in many ways, Edmonton is a great town with an amazing river valley, hundreds of kilometers of bike paths, lakes and national parks close by full of elk, bison, coyotes, moose, etc. We also have a whole lot of amazing festivals.

Though I wish the Rocky Mountains were closer, they are only a three hour drive away. Jasper has become a second home for me this summer, and, in fact, I'm heading there again in the morning for a bit of camping, hiking and mountain biking with a friend visiting from New Jersey and my daughter.

So, as I've not been blogging a whole lot as of late, I reckoned that I'd share some scenes from what I have been up to. Enjoy the pics and perhaps make this a future travel destination!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:57 a.m. , Blogger Catherine Vibert said...

    Beeeautiful! I love the river parks in Edmonton. I think I told you I spent a little time there a few years back. My mom and I both were kind of sucked into your local guru John de Reuter. My mom actually lived there for a year in order to attend his meetings. I was there in Spring, Fall and Winter, but never in Summer. Flying back to Seattle was always the most spectacular flight over the Rockies. I'd love to do some on the ground exploring there.

     
  • At 4:41 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    Hey Cat!

    I recall you mentioning that you had been up in this neck of the woods. It truly is a place of paradox - heaven in the summer, hell in the winter! Hope that you can visit here again one day!

    I've just posted photos from my trip, from which I've just returned, where I got some great photos up close of a brown bear sow and her three cubs... okay, it was also a wee bit scarry!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home