Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Possible Name for My New Celt-Punk Band


It was a brilliant Autumn afternoon as my seven year old daughter, Enya, and I were strolling down Whyte Avenue and doing a bit of people watching. In edition to our usual haunts (book store, music shop and cafe), we put our heads into the Scottish Import Shop to browse. It was great fun and a bit nostalgic for me as I spent most of my childhood and early 20's playing bass drum in a Pipe and Drum band back home in Nova Scotia.

Then one of those magical moments - an epiphany if you will... or catharsis of sorts - hit me regarding the quest my band members and myself have been on pertaining to a name. I came up with:


Now, this is a spoof but meaningful name for me. In my embattled youth of shit and abuse, I discovered two things that changed my life forever: Albert Camus' "L'Etranger" and Punk Rock. And no joking, the very first punk rock I ever heard was BLACK FLAG's "Everything Went Black" record. In fact, during my years as the front man for the Halifax punk band, ICK ON FISH, my vocal style was modeled largely on Henry Rollins of Black Flag, and Joey Shithead's of D.O.A. Seriously formative stuff here!

In considering PLAID FLAG, for me at least, it represents a bit of the rougher edge that I bring to the group in hommage to my Hardcore roots. The tartan in the logo comes from the official tartan of Nova Scotia from where many of the band members hail. My only hesitation with the name is that it may make many think that we are trying to be Scottish, as many folks are unaware of the role of Celtic culture in Nova Scotia. Just to add to your cocktail knowledge: (1.) 'Nova Scotia' is actually Latin for 'New Scotland' (if you speak French at all, you'll know that Scotland in French is Ecosse, and Nova Scotia is Nouvelle Ecosse) (2) until the 1960's, the main language spoken by most people in the Cape Breton area of the province was Gaelic, and the language is still used there today and (3) Nova Scotia boasts the only Gaelic College in North America.

...Not that I'm proud to be a Bluenoser or anything...

So, it's still just an idea as I am only one member of the group. I had my missus help me do the design (above), which I have included here, along with Black Flag's logo (below) for contrast purposes

Input from my readers is always welcome - feel free to leave me a comment or I'll feel like I'm just nattering to myself!

Slainte!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:19 p.m. , Blogger Fantastic Forrest said...

    You are NOT nattering to yourself. :)

    When is the Plaid Flag CD coming to Amazon? I'd make sure you're not infringing on Black Flag's logo before you print up the album...

     
  • At 6:32 p.m. , Blogger Ed Meers said...

    We should have some YouTube stuff up by Xmas. We're mainly working on getting a set together and sorting out our membership.

    Not sure how the whole legality of logo modifications go. I know bands spoof each other all the time. I think that if we were on a big label making millions, then we'd be sued. I've not any ambition to become famous - just want to have a bit of fun and play a few pub sessions and house parties.

    I'll post a link as soon as we have something up.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 2:07 p.m. , Blogger Everything Went said...

    Great name and logo - love it. I do want to correct one misconception, Gaelic stopped being the main language of Cape Breton around the 1860s not the 1960s.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home