Masochistic Perceptions, Trials and Truths

These are my cyberfied cerebral synapses ricocheting off reality as I perceive it: thoughts, opinions, passions, rants, art and poetry...

Sunday, January 06, 2008

A 12-Pack of Tunes


I had the privilege of being a part of the alternative rock scene at it's peak in the early-mid 1980's. In addition to being the front man for hardcore punk band Ick on Fish and bassist for Moral Support, I had the opportunity to see some of the best independent artists to ever play ranging from the Nils, Asexuals, D.O.A. and S.N.F.U. to the early incarnations of Sara McLaughlin and Sloan and the likes. Being in Halifax and Canada at this point in time was to experience the power of youth against the background of possible nuclear obliteration, protests marches and a desire to change the world.

But, those days are long behind me. At the age of 39 I rarely go to gigs anymore, and when I do, it's usually to see something a bit more folky like the Waifs, the symphony or whatever. There have been a few highlight shows over the past decade or so including the Saw Doctors, The Lowest of the Low and seeing the Pogues twice (though minus the great Shane MacGowan) that I've braved, but I've also let a lot of gigs pass, simply because I feel like I'm past going. I did have a ticket to see former Hüsker Dü front man, Bob Mould, play a year or so ago, but missed the show due to the flu.

I did make an exception this passed November and dragged along my mate, who is also 39, kicking and screaming. The Dropkick Murphys were coming to town and we are both heavy into this Boston band. Despite our reservation of age, we went and what resulted was a treat beyond our dreams. The ticket said "Dropkick Murphys with Guests". To our utter shock and delight, along with a band called The Briggs (who were very good and who I have since purchased their LP), the Chicago Celtic Punk band The Tossers were on the bill. Now my holy trinity of music is The Dubliners (the Father), The Pogues (the Son) and The Tossers (the Holy Spirit). The show was bloody amazing and, in my opinion, though the Murphys rocked, the Tossers totally kicked arse. If you are a fan at all of that Poguesy Celtic punk sound, check these lads (and lass) out.

If you do like the Celtic rock/punk fusion sound, here's a few group to look for. Enjoy!

The Pogues
The Tossers
Flogging Molly
Rum Runner
The Mahones
The Young Dubliners
The Real MacKenzies
The Saw Doctors
The Waterboys
The Spirit of the West
The Dropkick Murphys
The Briggs
Shane MacGowan and the Popes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home